Hey you! Do you take care of yourself?
You might think I’m crazy for asking such an obvious question when your reply would be “obviously.”
But let me ask you another question that most people would get stuck at when questioned: ‘How do you take care of yourself?’
Today I’ll be discussing the ‘whats’, ‘whys’ and ‘hows’ of self care. Before diving into the topic let us look at some definitions of this term.
- In health care, self-care is any necessary human regulatory function which is under individual control, deliberate and self-initiated. Some place self-care on a continuum with health care providers at the opposite end to self-care. In modern medicine, preventive medicine aligns most closely with self-care. Wikipedia
- Care for oneself or health care provided by oneself often without the consultation of a medical professional. Merriam Webstar.
- The practice of taking action to preserve or improve one’s own health. Or the practice of taking an active role in protecting one’s own well-being and happiness, in particular during periods of stress. Oxford Dictionary
Makes you more productive:
Increases Productivity: Giving yourself a few minutes from your busy routine, allows you to work more efficiently.
Helps you refocus:
Taking 5-7 min breaks in between work helps reduce anxiety and allows you to work with a fresher mind which in turn aids in better performance.
Reduces Stress Levels:
Stress is like your shadow which follows you everywhere you go. It affects your body in ways which stops or limits you from getting your work done. Once you start taking care of yourself, you learn how to cope with stress and not let it control your actions.
More to offer:
How are you going to love and show affection for others if you yourself are tired and exhausted from life. As the saying goes “You can’t pour from an empty cup. Take care of your self first.
Having taken a good look at the definition and the benefits of this self explanatory term, now you might have a better idea of its importance so let’s have a look on the most important part, the ideas on how to instill self-care into your busy lifestyle.
However before moving to the simple and basic list of actions to help kick start your self care routine, I would like you to keep in mind a few points:
- Self-care is not a reward; it is part of the process.
- Self-care takes practice.
- Self-care is the key to living a balanced life.
- Take some time out from your hectic schedule to eat proper meals.
- Take up a hobby. For instance; baking, reading, Zumba, etc.
- Try to smile and laugh more often.
- Learn to say ‘no’ for your own sake.
- Try eating healthy.
- Spend quality time with your loved ones.
- Do at least one thing that makes you happy each day.
- Get enough sleep.
- Spend your time and money on what matters.
- Take short breaks.
Lastly, always remember its not selfish to love yourself, to take care of yourself and to make your happiness a priority. It’s necessary.